Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Houston 5 Week 9

Hey! Much love comin from down here in Houston!

This week was a pretty fun one, full of a lot of fun activities. First off, Monday night I got a call in the middle of a lesson we were having from Obispo Marin's phone, I didn't answer it because it's in the middle of the lesson. I listen to the voice mail later that night and I hear dad's voice. I listened to it a few times, and it jerked some tears out of me. It's amazing what just hearin s voice can do to you. (Jim had a business meeting in Houston and had dinner at the Bishop of the ward Nic is serving in) 

Then Tuesday we had half a mission conference with Elder Packer. It was really cool to hear  what he had to say to help us. It was also cool because I got to meet an Apostle's son. He had a lot of really cool stories about football, and he related them to missionary work. A theme of that conference was "when you can't do what you want to do, you can only do what you need to do". It was interesting to see how we can try right now to do what we need to do, and then get blessed for doing what the Lord wants us to do.

For lunch I sat with some of the ASL missionaries, and learned some sign language. One of the ASL missionaries is deaf, and he is a really cool kid. I want to learn some sign language just to talk with him, and all the other deaf people. That night, when we got home, Obispo Marin was waiting with this giant box filled with goodies from dad. There was a lot of food, I don't know how I will eat it all, I shared some muffins with the district on Friday for district meeting. Not gonna lie, I was kinda jealous of the Marin family for having been able to see/talk with dad. 

The rest of the week went by normally, nothing too over the top. We had really good lessons with all he investigators. We actually have set a new date with another guy we are teaching. He is already in 2 Nephi chapter 20. He came to church as well, so he's pretty on fire right now. I love seeing when people are doin the things necessary to change their lives, and seeing them be inspired from that.

On Friday we had a Thanksgiving party with the ward were we had a little spiritual program beforehand. So I, knowing how to play the piano, was elected to do a solo for the program, and play for a missionary choir. I only practiced the song I would do for the solo a few times, luckily it was easier, and I could pull it off like that. We got some good turkey and classic thanksgiving dinner with a Hispanic twist, they added rice.

That was the week, and it was pretty fun. This Thursday, Thanksgiving, we are scheduled to have about three dinners, so I should be getting really fat, yay! 

For Christmas, maybe a knife would be nice, a little extra backup for the dogs, if you know what I mean.
I love you so much, I'm off to ball, like any other pday! (I did NOT know what he meant about a knife.... I know he has a fear of dogs, but a knife??  I did find out he has his pepper spray but he is afraid it won't work on the big dogs.  I plan to send him a mini baseball bat instead and give him some pointers on how handle a dog situation if it arises.  Silly guy....a missionary with a knife in downtown Houston?? )

Elder Atkinson (Nic)





No comments:

Post a Comment